Following a spike in coronavirus cases – today’s case numbers being the highest they had been in two months with 25 new cases identified overnight – Premier Daniel Andrews announced today that some of the restrictions that were due to be eased from Monday 22 June will stay the same, and some will go back to previous levels.
“From 11:59pm on Sunday, the number of visitors you can have at your home will reduce to five. Outside the home, families and friends can meet in groups up to ten. As we’ve seen across the world, this virus has the ability to turn a few cases into hundreds in a matter of days.
That’s why we also need to delay an increase to gathering limits in businesses and community facilities.
That means restaurants, pubs, auction halls, community halls, libraries, museums and places of worship—will all stay at a maximum of 20 people in any one space until 12 July.
Businesses that were set to open on Monday like gyms, cinemas, theatres and TABs can do so—but again, only with a maximum of 20.
Community sport for kids and non-contact competition for adults can proceed as planned. Ski season and accommodation facilities with communal spaces will also open, but with increased screening and safeguards in place,” said Premier Andrews.
Mr Andrews said there had been instances of people gathering in large numbers at the homes of family and friends, even though they had been told to self-isolate.
“We have even had people who had tested positive and have been told to go home and isolate and instead they have gone to work, instead they have gone and visited loved ones in large numbers,” he said.
“It is pretty clear that behind closed doors when one family comes together in large numbers … they are not practicing social distancing.”
This news comes as the AFL confirmed Essendon player Conor McKenna tested positive for coronavirus on Friday night, forcing the postponement of the Bombers’ game against Melbourne tomorrow.
Read the full media release here.