They're looking for a local artist to create permanent public artwork as part of the South Geelong to Waurn Ponds Duplication.
As part of the Geelong Line Upgrade, the Djilang Alliance (DJA) and Rail Projects Victoria (RPV) are seeking an artist to create a permanent public artwork (the Artwork) that will span across the new South Geelong Station overpass.
This high-profile creative opportunity is suitable for an established artist from the Greater Geelong region.
Stay up to date with what’s happening within the region’s art scene here
Spanning across the new South Geelong Station overpass, the commissioned artwork will play an important role in creating a sense of identity and arrival at the station precinct. The artwork will serve as a high-profile visual marker and expression of Geelong’s sports precinct, delivering a high-quality creative legacy for present and future generations.
Artists from underrepresented groups, such as First Nations artists, artists from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, as well as artists with lived experience of disability, are strongly encouraged to apply.
Take a look at our Artist Brief (PDF) to find out more and to help guide your submission.
The artwork will be on show at the new South Geelong Station, where passengers at South Geelong Station can look forward to a modern and accessible station. The upgrades will create well-designed public spaces and a better station precinct.
- a new station building and forecourt on the existing platform
- a new second platform and track. Trains will be able to pass each other in this section and services will recover faster from unexpected delays
- an accessible pedestrian overpass with ramps and lifts for people with mobility aids or prams
- improved shelter and better wayfinding
- lighting and CCTV upgrades to help improve station safety for passengers
- a high-quality architectural and landscape design for the station and public areas
- reconfigured station car park with safer pedestrian access and improved landscaping
- pedestrian and cycling links to the Bellarine Rail Trail, South Geelong, Marshall and Waurn Ponds stations
- parkiteers (secure bike storage) and bike hoops
- improved bicycle paths in and around the station
- changes to Carr Street to create an entry to the new second platform, pedestrian overpass and forecourt
- better connections between South Geelong Station, Kardinia Park precinct and businesses on Moorabool Street.
Submissions must be received by midnight Sunday 5 February 2023. Head here for more information.