It all starts today!
After what’s felt like a lifetime, Geelong is on the cusp of its biggest ever weekend of major events, beginning with the Foo Fighters concert at GMHBA Stadium on Friday night and the Geelong Revival Motoring Festival at Geelong Waterfront.
Here’s a snapshot of the major events happening across the weekend.
- Foo Fighters concert, GMHBA Stadium, 4 March
- A DAY ON THE GREEN, Midnight Oil, Mt Duneed Estate, 5 March
- Geelong Revival Motoring Festival, Waterfront, 5-6 March
- Nitro Circus, GMHBA Stadium, 7 March
There is also a series of smaller events happening across the weekend, including free music festival Sweetfest across the CBD on Sunday, the Malice at the Palais wrestling event on Saturday evening, River Run fun run on Sunday, and Dachshund Derby in Inverleigh on Sunday.
Road closures across Geelong
Traffic conditions around GMHBA Stadium will change from 11:00am on Friday 4 March until 1:00am on Saturday 5 March 2022. Changed traffic conditions including street closures around GMHBA Stadium will take place from 2:00pm and will affect Moorabool Street between Fyans Street and Kilgour Street, Latrobe Terrace, Strong Street, Lonsdale Street, Verner Street, Foster Street, Balliang Street, Hopkins Street and Park Crescent. Residents are advised to expect delays accessing their properties via Fyans Street and Yarra Street.
Geelong Revival Motoring Festival
Wednesday 2 to Tuesday 8 March, various times
Ritchie Boulevard and some parts of Eastern Beach Road, Bellerine Street, Yarra Street, Brougham Street will be subject to various road closures and no parking during affected times.
A Day On The Green – Midnight Oil, Mt Duneed Estate, Saturday 5 March
Peak traffic times are expected between 4pm and 7pm and at the concert’s conclusion at approximately 10:40pm.
Speed reductions and road closures will be in place for Reservoir Road between Anglesea Road and Cape Otway Road, and Drayton Road between Princes Highway and Reservoir Road.
Speed reductions and changed traffic conditions will be in place.
For information about traffic and parking related to major events please visit eventsgeelong.com.au.
For those heading to the Foo Fighters tonight, here’s what you need to know:
Organisers have shared that no bags will be permitted. Backpacks and other large bags are not permitted. All acceptable bags must be equivalent in size to an A4 paper or smaller.
To assist with entry, ticket holders are encouraged to arrive early and download their mobile ticket before arriving at the Stadium.
It’s looking like rain too – be weather prepared!
There will be short bursts of fireworks throughout the Foo Fighters event, so it is recommended that pet owners secure their animals in a safe location.
Getting to and from the event
- Gates open at 4:00pm with the Meanies on stage at 6:00pm, Amyl and the Sniffers at 7:00pm and the Foo Fighters at 8:30pm.
- V/Line is putting on extra services after the event with trains leaving South Geelong for Southern Cross at 2330, 2345 and 0001.
- Disability parking permit drop off and pick up is available at entrance B, via Latrobe Terrace.
- Bus routes 1, 24, 41, 42, 50, 51 and 55 will be diverted to Yarra Street from 2:00pm.
- An Uber drop off/pick up is available at entrance A in A5 car park, via Kilgour Street.
- A taxi tank rank will be located on Foster Street.
- Emergency access will be maintained at all times.
For those heading to the A Day on the Green on Saturday, here’s what you need to know:
- If you’re driving to Mt Duneed Estate, parking is available onsite and a parking fee of $20 per vehicle applies, parking can be prebooked via Ticketmaster or paid on the day by card only (no cash sales).
- If you CAR-POOL to the event and arrive in a vehicle with 4 or more paying ticket holders, you will NOT be charged for parking. Wet weather contingency for parking: Off site parking and a complimentary bus shuttle will be made available in the event that onsite parking is effected by heavy rain fall.
- Gates Open 4.00pm, with All Our Exes Live In Texas on stage at 5.35pm, Goanna 6.45pm and Midnight Oil at 8.00pm. Approximate Finish 10.00pm.
- General Admission – BYO standard sized camping chair (back of chair no higher than 100cm). You are permitted to bring a supermarket sized cooler bag into this area.
- Payment by card only at bars and merchandise marquees, no cash sales. Food trucks will take payment by card or cash.
- Pack your COVID essentials > bottle of sanitiser and a face mask.
- Sealed plastic bottled water (still or sparkling) up to 1.5L in size. Empty translucent plastic bottles can be brought into the venue to use at our free water stations.
- Food – there is also a selection of food available for purchase
- Event sites are in wineries, which have some sloped and uneven areas. Wear sensible footwear I gumboots for wet weather.
- Bring sunscreen and a hat! Please note: there are no sheltered areas – come prepared for rain or shine.
- For sunny days make sure you wear a wide brimmed hat for protection and bring plenty of sunscreen with you.
- If the forecast is for rain please bring suitable shoes a poncho or raincoat.
For those attending Nitro Circus:
- Nitro Circus: You Got This is an explosive, high adrenaline action sports spectacular starring the best athletes in FMX, BMX, Skate, Scooter and more – and it’s all coming to your town for one night only!
- Geelong show has moved from Friday, 4 March to Monday, 7 March to accommodate Victoria State Government special event. All tickets already purchased will be honored for the new date.
- Tickets for the Nitro Circus Show remain on sale and can be purchased here.
- VIP Doors – 5:00PM General Doors – 6:00PM Showtime – 7:00PM
And those heading to Geelong Revival Motoring Festival:
- Running from Friday to Sunday, the Geelong Revival Motoring Festival is an action-packed motoring festival held on Geelong’s picturesque waterfront. The Geelong Waterfront will be covered with over 600 quirky, valuable and fascinating vehicles that are guaranteed to please anyone with an appreciation for unique vehicles.
- The closest car parks to the Geelong Revival are the Deakin University Waterfront Campus car park (Free parking on weekends. Be aware of permit conditions and charges upon entry) and the train station car park.
- There is also the Busport car park on Brougham Street which offers free parking from 8am to 9pm Sat-Sun.
- There are many other parking areas around the CBD and the City of Greater Geelong maintains an up-to-date list of parking areas around Geelong, for more information click here.
- It is free to attend the Geelong Revival Motoring Festival but there are some ticketed areas.
The Pits area is $25 for adults, $15 Concession, $10 for children (kids under 5 are free). Family tickets are $50 (2 adults & up to 3 children).
Those attending Sweetfest 2022:
- Located at Lt Malop St Precinct & Johnstone Park Forecourt, Geelong on Sunday, March 6.
- Running from 11:15AM – 6:20PM.
- There are 4 stages where you can catch Sweetfest artists: The outdoor Lipson Stage on Johnstone Park Forecourt, Beav’s Bar, Pistol Pete’s Food & Blues & Westend Upstairs.
- Food can be purchased from the cafes/businesses in the precinct.
- People of all ages are encouraged to come and enjoy the festivities, get involved in this music festival and see some of Australia’s best female artists.
- There is no entry fee for Sweetfest 2022, comedown and enjoy the festivities.
- Can’t make it to Sweetfest? Don’t worry they’ve got you covered, with live streaming occurring throughout the day.