A celebration of all things flaky and filling.
Ballarat’s culinary scene has been set ablaze as the city’s pie aficionados convened this weekend to crown the reigning champions of the 2023 Ballarat Best Pie Awards. Hosted by the esteemed culinary journalist Sofia Levin, this scrumptious spectacle marked a celebration of all things flaky and filling.
Under the discerning eyes – or rather, taste buds – of judges including Cr Daniel Moloney, Tim Bone, Jack Vanderheyden, Kate Davis, and Richard Cornish, the coveted title of Ballarat’s Best Pie was bestowed upon none other than Flying Chillies’ tantalising babi pongteh pie, available exclusively at Red Duck Brewery. A burst of flavours that whisked the senses to distant lands, this creation took the crown with its unique twist on tradition.
Keep up with the latest food and booze news across the region here.
View this post on Instagram
Following suit, Eclectic Tastes clinched second place with their egg and bacon masterpiece, while the third spot was reserved for Black Cat Truffles’ confit chicken, leek, and truffle pie, a melange of luxurious indulgence.
When it came to sweet pie supremacy, Kilderkin Distillery triumphed with their Grandma Harriet’s bramble and apple pie. A harmonious blend of nostalgia and modern delight, this pie managed to capture the essence of comfort in every buttery, crumbly bite.
In the battle of savoury creations, Flying Chillies claimed yet another accolade, securing the best savory pie title with their braised pork pie – a savoury symphony that left palates singing.
The honours for best bakery pie were bestowed upon 1816 Bakehouse, where their smoked brisket and American cheddar pie danced across taste buds with a fusion of smokiness and creaminess.
Throughout August, all these pie wonders will grace the menus of bakeries, cafes, bars, and restaurants across Ballarat. An invitation that no true connoisseur of comfort food could resist.
But that’s not all – there’s a chance to win big by indulging in these mouthwatering creations. Simply order a pie from any participating venue, snap a delectable picture, and post it on Instagram with the hashtags #ballaratsbestpie and #visitballarat. You could be whisked away on a weekend retreat to Ballarat, a prize valued at over $1,000. For the full terms and conditions, visit visitballarat.com.au.
Participating pies and venues:
- Ultimate Egg and Bacon Pie by Eclectic Tastes Café & Pantry
- Mexican Breakfast Pie by The Turret Café & Catering
- Beef Cheek Ragu Pie by Forge Pizzeria
- Beef Brisket and Mushroom Melt Pie by Mitchell Harris Wines
- Teriyaki Duck Pie by Grainery Lane
- Beef and Beer Pie by Aunty Jacks
- Miso Sweet Potato Pie by Roy Hammond
- Chicken Truffle Pie by Black Cat Truffles
- Mrs Marshall’s Mushroom Pie by Sovereign Hill
- Lamb Roast Pie by Flying Horse Entertainment Venue
- Lamb and Rosemary Pie by The Western Hotel
- Barbacoa and Cheese Pie by Hop Temple
- Babi Pongteh Pie by Flying Chillies (available at Red Duck Brewery)
- Mapo Tofu Pie by Flying Chillies (available at Red Duck Brewery)
- Paddock to Pie by Wayward Winery
- Smoked Brisket and American Cheddar Pie by 1816 Bakehouse
- Sri Lankan Beef Curry Pie by Beechworth Bakery
- The BLC by Ballarat Leagues Club
- Raspberry Drop Curd Pie by Sovereign Hill
- Grandma Harriet’s Bramble and Apple Pie by Kilderkin Distillery
From savoury masterpieces to sweet symphonies, there’s a slice of pie heaven waiting to be savoured in every corner of this gastronomic paradise.
Get your pie on from 1-31 August across Ballarat. For more information, head here.