Are you sick of hearing Michael Buble and Mariah Carey? Do you want to prove to your friends that you KNOW music? Are you trying to act like a Grinch but deep down you’re a Buddy from Elf?
If you answered yes to any of the above then this is your definitive list of unconventional Christmas tunes to get you through the festive time.
1. The Wombats – White Christmas. Everything about this Like A Version performance is alternative. To the dreary-yet-resounding vocals to the cameo from (I think) a wombat, this track will keep you indie music taste repertoire intact while also give you a great sing-a-long.
2. She & Him – Baby, It’s Cold Outside. Show me a better crooning duo and I’ll show you a liar. Lead singer and quirky actress Zooey Deschanel’s voice is husky, whimsical and just downright sexy. This track has all the playfulness you’ve come to love from this classic carol but the jazzy pair add extra pizzazz.
3. Sia – Santa’s Coming For Us. If you’re wanting to liven up the family Christmas feast and you’re ready to embrace original Christmas carols then Sia’s Christmas album is for you. Santa’s Coming For Us is poppy, up-beat and fun. Put on your dancing shoes and embrace your Christmas cheer for this track.
4. The Pogues – Fairytale of New York. If you are a true Grinch this will be on repeat throughout the festive season. The Irish Christmas is everything but merry but damn it’s a tune and will have all your friends and family wondering how you ever found it.
5. Olivia Olson – All I Want For Christmas. No matter how much you hate Christmas, you cannot possibly hate the cutest movie scene ever created in the history of film that is Olivia Olson’s Love Actually character Joanna belting out All I Want For Christmas. I literally get chills whenever I watch this clip and it makes all the stress of the festive season worthwhile.
Written by Kim Price