Editorial staff employed in the production of content for Furst Media print and digital titles must agree to be bound by the following set of editorial guidelines.
Editors, subeditors and assistant editors agree to uphold these guidelines in the production of written, photographic, audio and video content for the purpose of informing the public in matters of civic interest, but not in instances whereby material has been produced in collaboration with a commercial partner or advertiser.
1. A COMMITMENT TO ACCURACY
• Editors will ensure that content produced with the aim of informing the public about matters of civic interest are accurate and not misleading. In instances of such content appearing in a digital environment, hyperlinks must be included directing readers to a minimum of one third-party source verifying the subject matter.
• If content of civic interest is demonstrated to be inaccurate or misleading, appropriate remedial action must be taken.
2. A COMMITMENT TO FAIRNESS
• Editors will ensure that any content depicted as factual is fairly portrayed, and that opinionated content is formed using factual basis.
• If content of civic interest relates adversely to an individual or organisation, fair opportunity will be given to said individual or organisation to contribute to initial or subsequent content in addressing purported inaccuracies.
3. A COMMITMENT TO PRIVACY
• Editors will ensure that they or their assigns will not encroach on the reasonable expectation of privacy of any individual.
4. A COMMITMENT TO SAFETY
• Editors will avoid publishing content likely to pose a threat to public safety, or inflict harm to an individual or organisation.
5. A COMMITMENT TO INTEGRITY
• Editors will avoid publishing content that has been obtained via illegal or unethical means.
6. A COMMITMENT TO TRANSPARENCY
• Editors will ensure that potential conflicts of interest as they may relate to content informing the public in matters of civic interest are adequately disclosed.