Miles O’Neil is part comedic wizard, part singer-songwriter – and one of the featured artists at this years Festival of Performing Arts. A Torquay local, O’Neil will be peppering Lorne with late-night shenanigans and pop-up appearances with award winning trio The Suitcase Royale, as well as performing with hip alt-country duo Miles and Simone.
Stepping away from the ‘junkyard theatre’ antics and heartbreaker ballads for just a moment, O’Neil gives Forte his five favourite Lorne hangouts.
1. Lorne Point. When everywhere else is onshore and sloppy, Lorne point will be firing these nice little long board waves that are clean as a whistle.
2. Fishing on the Lorne Pier. And having to pull in the fish before the seals chomp them down for lunch.
3. The Lorne Cinema. Such a beautiful venue – I still remember seeing Strictly Ballroom there as a kid.
Forte Note: Comedy legends Tom Gleeson and Denise Scott are set to provide the laughs at this venue. Both masters of their craft, their stand-ups will always deliver regardless of the insight they are sharing
4. Pizza Pizza. It’s a reliable date night: eating pizza down by the creek before wandering along to the cinema for a movie, you can’t really go wrong.
Forte Note: If you’re heading to the Gala Opening Night or the other events at Spiegeltent, Pizza Pizza is just a four minute walk from the venue!
5. The bush around Lorne. Pick a trail, any trail. It’s all gold.
As the home of the festival, these picks are a great option for anyone attending Lorne this weekend.
Miles performs a sold out show with Simone (as Miles and Simone) on Sunday, September 4 at the Glasshouse. Details here.
The boutique festival, a true Surf Coast treasure, will feature a wide selection of music, cabaret, comedy, circus and theatre, as well as a stack of free outdoor performances for kids and families. Opening night (Friday night) welcomes the FOPA Gala which is basically a little bit of everything – allowing you to sample bits and pieces from the main event. Prepare for a massive weekend of cultural display.
When & Where: The Lorne Festival of Performing Arts, September 2-4 at various locations in Lorne.
For more information and tickets visit the website.