Fireworks Spectacular is set to light up Ballarat sky on Sunday 15 January at 9.30pm.
If you love a vibrant display in the form of brilliantly colourful fireworks, head to Ballarat this weekend for the city’s annual Fireworks Spectacular.
Ballarat’s skies are set to explode into colour on Sunday night, starting on Sunday 15 January at 9.30pm at Lake Wendouree, aligning with week two of the Summer Sundays program.
Keep up with the latest in local news and entertainment here.
Created by local pyrotechnician Matthew Batty from Northern Fireworks, the 15-minute program promises to continue Ballarat’s Summer of events, following on from the success of the Federation University Road National Championships and the first half of Summer Sundays.
Western United will also host Newcastle United at Mars Stadium at 5pm on Sunday, ensuring an action-packed afternoon in Ballarat.
More than 10,000 people are expected to line the Lake Wendouree foreshore for the free fireworks event, with many more watching on from their homes.
City of Ballarat Councillor, Cr Samantha McIntosh said the fireworks remained one of the highlights on the Ballarat calendar.
“We know how much Ballarat residents treasure the fireworks and it is an event so many people love,” Cr McIntosh said. “Ballarat has already been a hive of activity since the new year and these events promise to make it even more exciting.”
For Matthew Batty, it will be his fourth Fireworks Spectacular Display at Lake Wendouree. He says this year the opening sequence and impressive finale will be bigger and brighter than ever before.
“This will make for an absolutely massive spectacle in the sky, which will also reflect beautifully over the water,” Mr Batty said.
“This year we’re opening the display with a large number of whistling fireworks that are sure to grab the attention of the many spectators watching and waiting at the lake.
“It’s tough to top the fantastic shows from the previous few years. However, the opening sequence will be bigger, with a greater number of the larger fireworks, and the titanium salute finale has been extended for an even greater ‘wow’ impact!”
Ballarat Fireworks Spectacular 2023
- Public access to the isthmus at the end of the rowing course (the land either side of the judges box) will be restricted from 9am on Friday 13 January until 11.59pm on Sunday 15 January.
- Lake Wendouree is closed for water activities from 3.30pm–11.59pm on Sunday 15 January 2023.
- There are no parking restrictions around Lake Wendouree, but extra precaution should be taken due to increased traffic.
- Pets should be looked after during the display as they could be spooked by the noise.
- The best viewing areas to see the Fireworks Spectacular will be to the south, east and west of the lake.
- The Loreto point and the floating pontoons on the lake are exclusion zones and patrons will not be able to picnic or watch from these locations.
Find out more about the event here.