Drawing from synth new wave bands of the 80s and modern post-rock bands, Melbourne four piece The Avenue’S recent EP, ‘NAMES’, jumps out of the speakers with all the ferocity of a panther, pouncing on the listener, demanding their attention.
With catchy tunes and some serious pop rock vibes, these guys are demand to be heard. Forte got an inside look at the EP with The Avenue sharing their Spotify playlist with top 20 tracks that inspired the EP. Here’s what they had to say…
This playlist serves as a basic illustration of my mindset as a listener in addition to being an artist during the writing and recording of our ‘NAMES EP’.
The playlist contains tracks that I believe analogize the numerous sonic motifs that we utilised throughout the recordings.
Songs like: Cardiac Arrest, Just What I Needed, Boys Don’t Cry, and Your Body Is A Weapon could easily draw comparisons to our song ‘letdown’.
While more down-tempo, songs like: But the Regrets are Killing Me, Purple Rain, Circles, and Chanel inform songs like ‘Always.Always’. Listening to the playlist, you will also find shoegaze and esoteric electronic tracks that also resonate with themes I find in my own head.
Bands like Explosions in the Sky, My Bloody Valentine, The Big Pink, and Boards of Canada all utilise similar writing and producing techniques that have become typical in our own songs.
Spotify playlist with top 20 tracks that inspired the EP
1. But the Regrets are Killing Me – American Football
2. Cardiac Arrest – Bad Suns
3. Golden Pendulum – The Big Pink
4. An Eagle in Your Mind – Boards of Canada
5. Fall Creek Boys Choir – Bon Iver
6. Just What I Needed – The Cars
7. Kathleen – Catfish and the Bottlemen
8. Blood Bitch – Cocteau Twins
9. Boys Don’t Cry – The Cure
10. Say Your Prayers – Darlia
11. Pound Cake – Drake
12. First Breath After Coma – Explosions in the Sky
13. She Drives Me Crazy – Fine Young Cannibals
14. Chanel – Frank Ocean
15. Circles – Mammals
16. Purple Rain – Prince
17. Walking on a Dream – Empire of the Sun
18. To Here Knows When – My Bloody Valentine
19. Lounge Act – Nirvana
20. Your Body is a Weapon – The Wombats
Listen to their playlist on Spotify now.
While you’re here, check their track ‘Take Your Time’ – it’s got a little something something that we are loving.